The foundation of the Hospital was consecrated in 1885 in the presence of local and regional officials. The Câmpulung Moldovenesc Psychiatric Hospital operates in a building that was built between 1885 and 1889 through the contributions and donations of the Bucovina Romanian Ecclesiastical Fund, the city halls, and people of good will from Câmpulung Moldovenesc, Vatra Dornei, Fundu Moldovei, Vama, Ciocănești, Moldovita, Frumosu, Iacobeni, Pojorâta, Sadova, Stulpicani, Dorotei, Poiana Stampei, Valea Boului, Valea Putnei, Breaza, Bucșoaia, Vadu Negrilesei, Ostra, Slătioara, and Cârlibaba.
The construction was completed in 1889, and the hospital began to operate with 40 beds, distributed in two departments: internal medicine and surgery. The construction of this hospital in this area meant an important step in the Romanian medical care field, as highlighted in the monograph of Dr. Alfred Reiner, a member of the Romanian Society of History of Medicine: “In the Bucovina of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the appearance of Romanian doctors was much later than in the other prov inces. Under Austrian rule, among the first Romanian doctors from Bucovina, the most important was Dr. Teofil Lupu, a doctor with serious internships at the famous clinic of Theodor Billroth and at Prof. Leopold in Dresden. He is the first Romanian surgeon in Bucovina and at the same time the only Romanian doctor in the entire Duchy of Bucovina during that period, except in the country’s capital, Chernivtsi, where there were several Romanian doctors. The fact that Dr. Lupu started working at the Hospital in Câmpulung has attracted other Romanian doctors, graduates of the Faculty of Medicine in Vienna, and soon this hospital became the first and only hospital in Austrian Bucovina, with Romanian medical staff.” The hospital, designed by an Austrian architect, is located in the center of the city, in a park. The gate of the Hospital was made by students of the School of Arts and Crafts from Câmpulung Moldovenesc after 1925 (when Câmpulung became a county).
In the years 1946-1950, in addition to the existing departments, a ward for hepatitis and a pediatric one were established. In 1951, the number of beds increased to 120 when a department for contagious diseases was also created. During this time, the hospital developed by building additional buildings, functioning as a general hospital until 1983. In 1983, by building a new modern hospital with adequate circuits and a higher capacity (over 400 beds), medical services were transferred to the new building. Through the care of Dr. Alexandru Avasilcai, psychiatrist, in the old building of the hospital is organized the Psychiatric Department of the City Hospital, with 70 beds. This Psychiatric Department represented a new medical service, providing psychiatric assistance to both the residents of the territory of Campulung Moldovenesc, Vatra Dornei, and Gura Humorului (approx. 300,000 residents) and those from other counties (neighboring: Botoșani, Neamț, Iasi, Bacău, or at a distance: Tulcea, Bistrita, Maramureş).
In 1993, after the death of Dr. Alexandru Avasilcăi, Dr. Alexandru Paziuc, psychiatrist, was appointed head of the department. At the initiative of Dr. Alexandru Paziuc and with the material support of the local community, the building of a Christian Orthodox chapel within the hospital begins with the feast day of “Life-giving Spring”. The work was completed in November 1997. Starting with 01.07.1999, through the order of the Ministry of Health No. 447/26.06.1999, the Psychiatric Department of the Municipal Hospital Câmpulung Moldovenesc becomes the Psychiatric Hospital Câmpulung Moldovenesc, operating under contract with the Health Insurance House Suceava. The Psychiatric Hospital Câmpulung Moldovenesc is unique in the county as a single-specialty hospital in the field of psychiatry and provides psychiatric assistance both to areas located in the municipalities of Câmpulung Moldovenesc, Gura Humorului, and Vatra Dornei (83.88%), to the population of the rest of the county (14.39%), and even to other counties in the country (1.73%). The modernization work began in 2001. At the initiative of Dr. Alexandru Paziuc and Dr. Petronela Paziuc, on the upper floor, some of the rooms were designed as ergotheraphy workshops: Tailoring, painting, weaving, carpet weaving, pottery workshops, as well as other facilities attached to the activities of culttherapy and sociotherapy. All the activities in the hospital are carried out under the careful guidance of doctors: Dr. Alexandru Paziuc, Dr. Petronela Paziuc, Dr. Lucian Paziuc, Dr. Cristina Luana Zbranca, and Dr. Carmen Carstiuc. Currently, the Hospital offers: – Gastronomy workshop under the guidance of ergotherapist Georgeta Bogus. – Ergotherapy workshop with craft-specific activities: Drawing, painting, beads, which was led by the ergotherapist Cezara Alexoae until 2020, and since 2023 it is under the guidance of the plastic artist Adriana Costas. During this workshop, the patient wants to discover his creative side, which is often an expression of his own states and emotions. During the admission, between the patient and the ergotherapist, a relationship is developed based on trust and support, so that after the discharge, he can resume his life with confidence and without fear of being judged by society and family. – A tailoring and weaving workshop under the guidance of the ergotherapist Mariana Creciunescu. Most of the materials used in the workshops were received through donations, following partnerships with foundations in Germany, Austria, and the Netherlands.
All patients are invited to the therapy workshops, the benefit of this activity being support in the recovery activity during admission. Even after the discharge, there were patients who wanted to participate in the activities of ergotherapy (painting and tailoring), because they understood the role of therapeutic activities in their lives. The entire staff (doctors, nurses, ergotherapists, psychologists, and social workers) try to bring mental balance and harmony that bring and maintain well-being. At the end of 2007, capital repairs began in the main building of the hospital, in order to bring it to the standards imposed by the beginning of the millennium. Through all its activities, the entire staff (doctors, nurses, ergotherapists, psychologists, and social workers), tries to bring psychological balance and harmony in order to develop the remaining skills and maintain the state of compensation.